Parking the Stress.

A colleague of mine is dealing with a troubling family situation. I won't go into details out of respect for his privacy, but it has started to affect him at work.

As his supervisor, I've noticed the toll this stress is taking on him. Specifically, he is struggling to focus because he has trouble sleeping.

Once he explained the situation, which he was actually managing to stay on top of, I commended him on how well he was handling everything. He hadn't realized how well he was doing because he tends to focus on the negatives.

Having witnessed similar situations with previous hosts and their loved ones, I understand what he is going through. I suggested two techniques to help him sleep, both of which I practice myself.

The first is to write down whatever is running through his mind before going to bed. It’s a way to offload and park those thoughts to review at a better time.

The second is to set aside even just 30 minutes to lie back and relax. He can play soft music, open a window for fresh air, or light incense. The goal is to mentally step away from the present moment and visualize a place where he feels completely peaceful.

I also reminded him to tell himself that he is doing his best for his family, and that’s all anyone can ask and if he needs time off, it's not a problem.

Life is full of challenges. While we strive to help others, we must also remember to take care of ourselves.

Image from Unsplash by Rod Long. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Do We Know

who am I?

Unexpected